Students and employees getting a first ID card, or replacing a card that is more than 2 years old, MUST submit a NEW selfie online before visiting the ID Center.
Photo submission is required for students and employees.
New students - please submit your photo at least 3-5 weeks before the start of your first semester/term!
New summer students moving into Heritage, Helaman, Wyview, and Riviera MUST submit an approved photo by June 8 to receive their ID card for housing check-in!
If you will not be attending classes on campus this term or semester, please wait to submit a photo until 2 months before you will be coming to campus.
• If you are unable to submit a photo, please email email@example.com or call 801-422-5092.
New employees will not be able to submit until 1 day after the hire is fully processed.
• If your photo is rejected, please review requirements and resubmit.
STEP 1: Take a NEW WIDE SELFIE and a photo of your expiring BYU ID or government ID
• Meet all BYU Dress and Grooming standards.
• Take a NEW SELFIE of your head and full shoulders for your BYU ID card. Do NOT use a photo you already have. This is the #1 reason a photo gets rejected!
• We strongly suggest you take a 2-handed landscape/horizontal/wide selfie to ensure it meets the next requirement...
• The photo will be cropped to a square - there must be space above your head with both full shoulders shown when cropped.
• Do not edit the photo. The background will be removed when you load the photo. Use a high contrast background to make background removal sharper. For example, if you have dark hair, find a spot with a light color background and vice versa.
• Find a well-lit space facing full, bright all-around light; do not have light behind you. There should be no shadows anywhere on your face. Use a ring light if you have one.
• Try different camera settings, exposures or filters to compensate for indoor lighting. Avoid warm filters and lighting as these tend towards orange, yellow, or pink. Make sure you look like you.
• Stand or sit with your whole body, including your head, directly facing the camera and look straight at the camera. This is an ID photo of your head and shoulders only. No headshots, senior photos, profile photos, etc.
• Use a natural smile or neutral expression with your eyes open. Look at the camera lens.
• Wear glasses if needed but no sunglasses, headphones, earbuds, or other distracting items.
• Head coverings are acceptable for religious or medical reasons only.
We need a photo of you – how you look on an average day, today. If your photo doesn’t look like you when you come to pick up your ID card, you’ll have to submit again and there may be a $10 fee.
NEW Students and Employees
must also submit a color photo of your government issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, visa). Make sure it shows your picture and name in English. Once we accept your ID photo, the image of your government ID will automatically delete from the system.
CURRENT AND RETURNING Students and Employees
renewing an expired or soon to expire BYU ID card should submit a color photo of the expiring ID card instead of gov. ID if prompted. You will need to turn in the ID card when you pick up your new card. Please renew no more than 1 month before your card expires.
If your card is lost, please submit a screenshot of your Y app digital ID card. Lost card replacements cost $10.
A new photo of you for the new ID card is required.
STEP 2: Submit your photos at
STEP 3: Pick Up your ID card
Photos are usually approved or rejected within minutes to hours during office hours, depending on the time of year. After-hours and near the start of a semester or term it will take longer, hours to days.
Make sure you get the "approved photo" email sent to your BYU email (login at mail.byu.edu).
Once you receive the "approved" email, please wait 15 minutes and then visit the ID Center (student) or Benefits Office (employee) to have your ID card printed. No appointment needed. If you cannot visit right away, visit any day down the road at your convenience.
New summer students moving into Heritage, Helaman, Wyview, and Riviera who submit an approved photo by June 8 can pick up the ID card at the ID Center until 10am, June 15. After June 15, you will receive your ID card when you check in to your housing area.
BYU ID cards can also be picked up at the Salt Lake Center library 2 weeks before the start of the term or semester. See the SLC website for hours, http://slc.byu.edu/library.
Lost card replacements cost $10 even if the card is expired.
• BYU ID cards are "valid for campus use only" under state law and must be picked up by the cardholder only.
• Students and employees must meet ALL Dress and Grooming standards to get your ID card, even if the photo was already approved. If you represent as a BYU student or employee with a BYU ID card, you need to REPRESENT. If you do not meet these requirements you will be asked to come back when you do.
• You must present government ID when you pick up your first BYU ID card.
• You must pick up your ID card to use Cougar Cash or meal plans, ride UTA, takes tests, or open campus doors.